Saturday, February 25, 2012

one of THOSE people...

You know how there are some people who always feel the need to give you "perspective" when you are down?  Or those who, no matter what, always act like they are taking things in stride, and always looking at the positives?  And I'm not talking about being this way some of the time.  I'm talking every. single. minute.  And you can't help but wonder two things:  1.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME? and 2. ARE YOU FAKING THIS OR DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IT?

Well, I was thinking about my reactions to life's small, and large, challenges.  Let's be honest, consider my last post.  You can imagine that plenty of people would like to offer me the bright side of that situation.  And given some recent events, I too have been reminded that it is not the end of the world.  But I never said it was, I just said I was sad.  And I am. 

But I got to thinking... do I come across as one of THOSE people?  I mean, generally, I'm pretty satisfied with life.  Generally, I can remain calm in difficult situations.  But that's just generally.  I also completely lose it sometimes, say the wrong things, and become emotional even though I wish I wouldn't.  I just can't help but wonder if people look at me and think that either I am removed from reality, or perhaps a grand perspective giver (which no one needs...). 

My response to all of that would be that I am the way I am because of what I have lived through.  I'm not going to stand here and say that my life began with suffering, because it certainly did not.  Nor did suffering follow me throughout my life.  But I have endured some pretty rough things (which, obviously I have no intention of publishing in detail).  So, if I seem to be a perspective girl, it is merely a result of what I have already experienced.  Very little surprises me, because very much I have witnessed first-hand. 

I laugh out loud when people excuse themselves for swearing in front of me.  Once I stop laughing, I remind them that they need not excuse themselves... And I suppose that my religion plays a part in the apologies for obsceneties.  But again, my religion is not a coincidence... it is what it is because of life's challenges. And also, I too have quite the trucker mouth (but I'm working on it!).

I want people to know really how I am this way, and really what "this way" is.  Not better than anyone, not nicer, calmer, wiser, or holier.  I am who I am because of where I've been.  For better, worse, and everything in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment